Building a clientele will be one of the hardest challenges in the first year of working in the beauty industry. How comfortable you are meeting new people will dictate how long it takes you to build a profitable career.
Remember the old saying, “You never get a second chance to make a first impression.” Not only do you want to look the part, you must make the first face-to-face interaction memorable, in a good way.
Here are five tips to help you make the cut with those first-time clients:
1. Be Positively Confident. When you have a new client coming in and want to make a great first impression, the first thing you must do is be mindful of your current attitude. Are you upbeat, happy, and confident? If not, you must get that way and fast. Think of a specific time you were happy and successful, then carry that feeling with you into the appointment.
2. Have an Authentic Smile. A great smile can ease the tension of any situation, especially when you are meeting someone for the first time. You want your new client to feel welcomed and appreciated. The best way to do that is by giving them a great big smile.
3. Never Lose Eye Contact. Most clients are somewhat nervous when they go to a new place and it could be because of a negative experience they have had in the past. Never be afraid to look your client in the eyes. It shows sincerity and that you are listening to them.
4. Give an Endearing Handshake. Never forget the handshake when you meet someone for the first time, especially with new clients. A great handshake shows confidence and enthusiasm, both of which your clients will be glad to see.
5. Say It with Your Style. When our clients see us for the first time, we want them to know we are professional and trendy and that they can depend on us to keep their look modern and updated. What better way to say this than with our style? If our look is stale and disheveled, then they will assume that our skills are the same. Keep your look fresh and professional and they will let you mentor them on theirs.