You cannot run a successful business without first creating a product that you faithfully believe will be ‘successful’ in the market among its intended users. Building a product roadmap is among the primary steps of establishing a successful business plan.
A roadmap is a ‘high-level visualized summary’ of your product that outlines the vision, mission, and direction you want your product to take. Basically, a roadmap is a compact, precise, concise yet crystal-clear, tangible form of your ideas, visions, and ambitions for your business. A business roadmap should be inclusive of your designing, production, marketing, and business strategies.
A good roadmap is the foundation of a successful business. Setting small goals and keeping tabs on them is an effective way to ensure you follow your initial roadmap throughout the journey in an organized and systematic manner. Here are ten factors to be mindful of when implementing your business roadmap:
1. Self-Confidence: You don’t take a leap of faith with your business; you don’t believe in lucky charms and serendipitous moments of fortune. The key to achieving a goal is to first believe with every ounce of your blood, sweat, and tears that you have an idea that can transform your life.
2. Envision: Once the product/business idea is conceived, the next step is to think it through. Visualize where you see your business going in the next six, nine, twelve months –or maybe years. Envision how this first perceived idea of yours can alter your life and the lives of those involved with the project.
3. Be Considerate: In the beginning, when you are an entrepreneur working with others, it can become hard to separate personal from professional. Think ahead of mental, emotional, and spiritual challenges that might arise once you have started your venture. Set sensible boundaries right off the bat.
4. Focal Point: It’s fundamental to have a main focal point before you start the entire struggle. Establishing a business and getting it running can be incredibly challenging. Having something to look back on to remind you why you are doing what you are doing can make things easier. Create a focal point for you to reflect back on while going through the struggle so that you can see how far you have come.
5. Write It Down: All your goals, visions, inspirations, aspirations, aims, and ambitions must be documented as the exposition of your roadmap. Strategies should be developed based on goals. Make specific goals and document them for future reference.
6. Be All In: Commitment is one of the most fundamental personality traits required in a business owner. Being your own boss is tough; you will not have anyone else to report to in the beginning besides yourself. You have to run the business, and that requires complete commitment on your account.
7. Plan of Action: Build a plan of action based on SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound. This tried and true method of setting goals never fails.
8. Determination: In business as in life, some days will be good, some bad, and some VERY bad. Leave points of determination as signposts throughout your roadmap so you don’t get distracted or disappointed.
9. Liability: You are in charge of your own business goals, but let your roadmap take the wheel for your personal accountability and liability. Always review your goals and achievements to keep tabs on your progress.
10. Review: Make sure to take little time out every week to review your roadmap and business goals to stay on top of your game. Always leave some room for improvements or adjustments in your plan.
About the author:
Monet Colbert is an entrepreneur and beauty professional with the passion to help others find their destiny in the beauty industry. As a former educator for the L'Oreal brands, Redken & Pureology, makeup artist, hair stylist, fitness competitor, model, writer, actress, wife, and mother of two, Monet packs an entrepreneurial punch to the beauty business as a brand strategist.
Her career in the cosmetology industry has made her an expert in hair care and makeup. Her journey up the ladder gave birth to her motivational book, “Shear Destiny.” She has also created her own cosmetics line called “Shades of Monet,” which represents all the shades of the color palette that we experience in life's journey. Monet believes that it's a natural part of the cosmetology industry to focus on external beauty. However, Monet shows how determination, persistence, and faith can be a testament to how beauty can really be defined from the inside out.
Focused on creating a motivational brand with purpose, not just profits, Monet's mission is to use her brands, social markets, and relationships to bring awareness to human trafficking, a subject matter that’s close to her heart. Full of life, determination, and passion, these are the many Shades of Monet. The question is... which Shades of Monet are you?